Hello.

xf86config is in xbase.

bash> dpkg --search /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config
xbase: /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config

for me you should install xbase, probably xfnt* (at least xfntbase),
and everything dselect requires or suggests you should install.
I would be surprised if old configs are a problem. debian is very robust.
but its way of installing X is confusing.

then you run xf86config. If you manage to respond to its questions, it
will even tell you which server you must use (apparently xserver_svga).

Good luck,
Alexandre