Take the case apart - there's an internal tape drive, power
supply, and floppy controller in the case.  Remove the internal drive
and install it in your system ... viola!  A usable tape drive.

This isn't what you wanted?  Well, that's life in the world of MS
specific hardware.  I have a T-1000e so I have gone through all of this
BS.

Actually, the reason you can't use the external is because of that
floppy interface in the case ... the parallel port serves as a link to
that interface.  I don't know if it uses a proprietary protocol or if
it's just a bear to implement, but no-one's done it under Linux that I
know of.

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key and other stuff