Horrible subject, but what I would like to do is to install a set of files
on one debian machine via dselect and find an easy way to install the
exact same set on another machine. I know there has been a discussion
about this in terms of using backup/restore commands, but I only want to
do this very infrequently and was wondering if some twist on the following
might work:

Could you take some file (status?) from /var/lib/dpkg and edit it by hand
and use a search and replace on the status line to change it from

to something like

and then put that file in /var/lib/dpkg/ on the other machine?

Cheers, Colin.

--
          Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
                School of Policy Studies, Queen's University