If you really like I can find the source code for this ... but the
question is, why would you want it?  You'd do just as well to find a
program that cracks crypted files ... it's about the same difficulty
either way.

The crypt (1) algorithm is based on the German WWII era "Enigma" cipher
- except that it's not as good.  It emulates an Enigma machine with one
rotor.  I'll point out that the chaps at Bletchley Park cracked four
rotor ciphers in the 1940s using mechanical computers.

If you need strong encryption, take a look at PGP, or one of the RSA
offerings.  Or use DES (which is also available in source code, and
should be available in Solaris)

PS - Many people confuse the crypt (1) command with the crypt (3)
function in libc, which is used to "encrypt" passwords.  It actually
hashes them ... they cannot be "decrypted".

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key and other stuff