Thanks very much for the information on this problem I'm having.  Trying now
to root around and see what's wrong (can't get dhcpcd to use my ethernet card).

I notice on boot that the following messages come up:
daemon.log.0:May 25 04:06:41 tao modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
daemon.log.0:May 25 04:06:43 tao modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

Does anyone know what package "net-pf-4" and "net-pf-5" are contained in?
or what this error is caused by?

If I this "net-pf" problem and it doesn't solve the problem, I'm going to
borrow a card
from a friend (an NE2000) to see if I can get dhcpcd to work with it.  My
current card
is an eepro100, for which I have an alpha-release driver...

TIA

-- Harmon