> I have a problem with mgetty. I have put an entry in /etc/inittab to
start
> mgetty. However, when I start the ppp process, it complains that kernel
> lacks PPP support which is wrong. I look at the log messages and it saids
> the device is busy.
> However, if I start mgetty by hand, I can start ppp without any problems.

I'm not sure what you are doing here.  Are you trying to enable incoming
PPP connections using mgetty?  Are you trying to enable mgetty for incoming
connections and then use PPP for outgoing to ISP?  (i.e. use same port for
incoming and outgoing comms.)

How were you starting mgetty by hand?  Same for ppp.

Later,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst
Edmondson Roper CA