On Sat, 31 May 1997 08:03:31 -0400, Ralph Winslow wrote:

>donk wrote:
>>
>> Deciding to try out debian I installed 1.3 and recenly discovered delete
>> doesn't work as I hoped. Delete is mapped as ^[[3~ which produces simply
>> "~" and a beep.
>
>I don't know what the <ESC> sequence is about (though it smells a lot
>like
>emacs);  but mapping <CTRL>D to anything but <EOF> would certainly drive
>me (and most old UNIX hackers I suspect) right up the wall.  It IS a
>PERSONAL Computer, however, so whatever floats your boat, I guess.

The problem lies, as I understand it, with true vt100 emulation. vt100 maps
the delete function to ^D, and no one will dare fix it because that would
mean it is not 100% vt100 compatible. God forbid.

Well screw vt100, I'd rather shoot for 100% compatibility with the keyboards
everyone has! vt100s are extinct!

^D also screws with programs that look for one. The guy that mapped the
delete key to it, will be hurting real bad when he goes to use things in X.
I found out the hard way myself.