It's my understanding that the overhead of the filesystem (ext2, or
whatever you have) as opposed to writing to a "raw" partition, is the
advantage of dedicating a partition for swap.

I usually just find a smaller drive that's laying around not doing
anything and make it the swap drive ... this machine uses a 250 MB
Quantum SCSI that was laying around after a friend upgraded his Mac.

I also had the impression that putting the swap aprtition at the
beginning of a drive resulted in better performance.

Btw, one of the latest README-s (sorry, I don't remember which one) said
that using a RAID0 device for swap was no longer a performance gain due
to changes in the swapon code.

Comments?

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key and other stuff