J. Goldman writes:
> Sorry, I'm confused. What do you mean by the statement that you "don't
> want to be forced to activate it"? Do you mean you'd like for your
> machine *not* to load xdm on startup?

I suppose I should have said "don't want to be tricked into activating it".
I was concerned that upgrading xbase would result in xdm being silently
activated because the maintainer assumed that no one could possibly not
want it.

> If that's the case, just comment out the appropriate line in
> /etc/X11/config.

After somehow recovering from the flashing screen catastrophe (I have no
network, and my floppy drive just died).

In any case, my fears have been put to rest.

John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)
Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI