On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 19:45:15 -0400 , Joey Hess wrote:
> How can I set up a user account that can only ftp in, and is restricted to
> their home directory in a chroot environment?

Add the user to /etc/passwd and put it in a group called 'ftponly' (or make
up a name, but this is the easiest to remember). If the group doesn't
exist, create it. The shell should be /bin/false. Add a line '/bin/false'
to /etc/shells. Now, you have a user that can't log in. Try it. I might
have forgotten something.

Now, set up wu-ftpd as your ftp server if you haven't done so already. In
/etc/ftpd/ftpaccess, add a line 'guestgroup ftponly'.

Now you should be all set up, if my memory serves me correctly. 'Guest'
users can do all normal ftp things, but wu-ftpd does a chroot to their
home directory. They can't get anything that is not in their home
directory (or mounted under it).

Remco