On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:55:41 EST [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

>      One wants a firewall to
>      1. not require logging into the firewall computer itself (TIS requires
>      this)
>      2. not require putting new (1 line changed then recompiled) ftp,
>      telnet, ... on the computers behind the firewall (SOCKS4 may require
>      this, I forget)
> Anyone running a debian-based firewall out there?

Yup.

> Does anyone have any experience with the TIS firewall toolkit package
> for Debian?  How about setting up firewalling in the kernel?

I have an `industrial' firewall working out there, fully in the kernel (with
ipfwadm). It masquerades all outbound connections (currently all, but you can
choose which ports to forward and/or allow outbound connections), and refuses
all outside connections except for mail, DNS and http. It also checks for
spoofing (correct addresses on correct interfaces).
>From the user, the only constraint is that he has to use passive ftp.
>Everything else is completely transparent.

Ipfwadm is hard to figure out at the first glance, but it's really powerful.

Phil.