BG Lim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a way for my modem to stop pppd when it ends, at present it just
> goes on running when the modem is cut off.

Look at the pppd man pages and check out the lcp options.  These will
enable a low level "ping" which will kill pppd when it fails.  Note
that there are also the scripts ip-up and ip-down which are run
whenever pppd gets/loses a connection.

The real problem is that pppd is not noticing when the modem quits.
If your modem is configured properly and you have a good modem cable,
there a are control lines that pppd can use to detect this.  See the
"crtscts" and "modem" pppd options.

Good luck.
--
Rob