> Actually, there's something weird with the latest xf86config.
>
> A few days ago i got rid of my old 15" monitor and got a 17", so I made a
> backup copy of my /etc/X11/XF86Config file and ran xf86config.
>
> It seemed to work perfectly. I set the mouse, keyboard, video card,
> monitor (filled in the values from the manual which came with it).  Then
> it ran the X server to test the settings.  Perfect!  1280x1024.  Clicked
> on OK, and saved the configuration.
>
> However, when I restarted xdm, I got an 800x600 screen. When I looked in
> /var/log/xdm-errors, I saw that it was discarding all the higher
> resolutions.  I've lost the actual error messages - forgot to keep a copy
> of the log file - but i'm sure I'll see them again this weekend when i
> have time to get it running in 1280x1024.
>
> I assumed i had made a mistake and forgot to save the config or something,
> so I did it again.  and again.  and again.  i gave up after that, i may not
> have got it going but i had sort of "proved" that i hadn't made some
> simple, stupid mistake...which meant that xf86config was making some simple,
> stupid mistake :-)
>
> As soon as I figure out what it is, I'll file a proper bug report.
>
> So, something is wrong with what it saved. I *SAW* X running my new
> screen in 1280x1024 mode.

This looks like something similar to what I experienced with XF86Setup.
It goes like this: running XF86Setup, the program determines the modes
with the best refresh rates for my monitor/video card combination.
Seems OK, but it does so _for_256_colors_.  When I then switch to 16 bit
color, the modes in XF86Config with resolution higher than 800x600 get
deleted, because the video card cannot supply these refresh rates.
Solution: pretend that your monitor cannot handle high vertical refresh
rates in XF86Setup, and the defined modes will have low enough refresh
rates for the video card to cope with.  The older xf86config program
used to provide a lot more modes apparently.  Has anyone noticed this
before?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032