On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Eddie Katz wrote:

> I have installed and configured xdm, at boot time xdm is launched but
> nothing appears on the screens. I only have the 6 tty screens available.
> Doing "ps -x" shows that xdm is running.
> So where is it.
>
> Of course, loggin in to a tty screen and executing "startx" works !

Check to see if you have an entry in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers (mine follows).
Also check /etc/X11/config to see if there is an entry line like
"start-xdm" if this line contains "no-start-xdm", remove the "no-".
finally, my entry below starts X in true color (16bpp). If you remove the
"-bpp 16" then it will start in the default 8bpp. Some X apps only run
under 8bpp. Cheers, Colin.

# $XConsortium: Xserv.ws.cpp,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:30 gildea Exp $
#
# Xservers file, workstation prototype
#
# This file should contain entries to start the servers on the
# local machine; if you have more than one display (not screen),
# you can add entries to the list (one per line).  If you also
# have some X terminals connected which do not support XDMCP,
# you can add them here as well.  Each X terminal line should
# look like:
#       XTerminalName:0 foreign
#
# X servers are automatically added to this file by the Debian
# xbase and xserver configuration scripts.
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 16

--
          Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
                School of Policy Studies, Queen's University