    Daniel>     Sorry...

    Daniel>             The point is that xdm is not loading when I
    Daniel> startup my system. No error messages, nothing... That's
    Daniel> all I could figure out myself (I tried dmesg and other
    Daniel> kind of "bug-traking" but no success...)

Check /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

It should have a line:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

I've seen this bug a zillion times.

I thought that /usr/X11/bin/X was always a wrapper program pointing to
the correct server, so why do the X packages futz around with this?
Why not just put this line in always?

--
Brought to you by the letters E and Z and the number 13.
"If you turn both processors off, you will have to reboot." -- The Be Book