On Thu, Jul 03, 1997 at 10:12:01AM -0400, Colin R. Telmer wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, David Kohel wrote:
>
> > I just set up and configured xdm (thanks to those who responded
> > with advice on shadow passwords, etc.), and by default, xdm
> > sources the $HOME/.xsession files, not $HOME/.xinitrc files.
>
> If you use xdm, .xsession is the individual user configuration. If you
> just run X through startx or xinit, then .xinitrc is the file to use. Look
> into /etc/X11/xdm for the global Xsession and in /etc/X11/xinit for the
> global xinitrc.

I hate to think that my version of 1.2 (now 1.3) is idiosyncratic, but the
global xsession and the global xinitrc files are identical. I have attempted
in my own halting way to parse my way thru the file(s), and the result
appears to me to be that some resource files do not get read. I would be
pleased if someone would correct my impression if I am wrong.
--
Gary