"Kevin M. Bealer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

> Also, installing this packages causes dselect to get really excited
> about dependencies, since everything wants the old libreadline, and
> the new one doesn't want to coexist.  What is the solution to this
> sort of thing?  For now, I have left the new one installed,
> deselected it, and stopped upgrading for a bit, but "bc" doesn't
> run yet.

Get the new, old libreadline2 from the same place as libreadlineg2:

C-u M-! dpkg -l 'libreadline*'

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
un  libreadline     <none>         (no description available)
un  libreadline-dev <none>         (no description available)
ii  libreadline2    2.1-2.1        GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
pn  libreadline2-de <none>         (no description available)
ii  libreadlineg2   2.1-2.1        GNU readline and history libraries, run-time
ii  libreadlineg2-d 2.1-2.1        GNU readline and history libraries, developm

> (so I use python to do arithmetic.)

:-) I'd be using Perl, or maybe the XEmacs *scratch* buffer.  One of
these days I'll work out how to use metafont for this.

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

       "Our mail program accidentally deleted our remove list."
                                                 - Real quote from UCE