On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, G. Kapetanios wrote:

> I have an old bubble jet BJ-10SX cannon printer.
> I have just set up lprng and magicfilter. I can print but only text .
> I am not very sure as to how to incorporate the filter in /etc/printcap
> I have triad the if statement and it didn't work.
> ( :if=\usr\sbin\magicfilter:\ ) I would be grateful if
> someone could send me their printcap file to see how it is done. Also I
> would like o know the
> appropriate name e.t.c. for my printer. Any help will be much appreciated

Have you tried running the program "/usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig"?  It is
supposed to configure the printer for you automatically.  Is your printer
compatible with BJ-10e?  Magicfilter comes with a configuration file for
it.

BTW, I think your setting in printcap failed for two reasons.  First, you
used "\" for the pathnames.  This is UNIX, not DOS, so you should use "/"
instead.  :)  Second, you do not call "/usr/bin/magicfilter" directly from
/etc/printcap.  Instead, when you use magicfilterconfig, it will create
the /usr/sbin/bj10e-filter, which runs magicfilter and parses the
configuration in bj10e-filter.  For example, I have the following in my
/etc/printcap:

   :if=/usr/sbin/epsonstc500-filter:

Good luck!

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Civil Engineering                http://www.ualberta.ca/~foka/