I have finally installed anacron.  Since my machine doesn't run
24 hours a day, no cron scripts have ever run, so my log files are
getting out of hand.

     The package description for anacron says "It's also a good
replacement for cron on systems, that don't run continuously 24 hours a
day but are powered on and shut down several times a day."

     Now that anacron is taking over the daily, weekly and monthly
cron jobs, can I safely remove cron, or is it required for other
system functions?

Bob