Ralph Winslow wrote:

> Syd Alsobrook wrote:
> >
> > Just a curious question, does anyone know if linux in general and
> Debian in
> > particular are year 2000 compliant?
>
> We're OK until 2017 (and since I'll surely have a 64-bit system by
> then,
> 'til hell freezes over) for 32-bit systems.
> >
> > It would be a shame if we came down to the wire and had forgotten
> something
> >
> > Syd
> > ----
> > http://www.uc.edu/~alsobrsp
> >
> >         "How do you know you're having fun
> >          if there's no one watching you have it."
> >                                         Douglas Adams
> > finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key!

Actually 32 bits will get us thru to 2037 but that only
means that the number of seconds since midnight Dec 31, 1970
can be accumulated in a 32-bit variable without rollover to
zero.  That does NOT necessarily mean that programs
(including the linux kernel, libc, etc.) that use that
32-bits do so correctly.

The biggest problems seem to me to be with the thousands of
applications that use dates.  Even if the kernel and
libraries work properly, that doesn't mean a given program
uses time properly.

An easy example:  struct tm from time.h has the "year" field
defined as the number of years since 1900 and is Y2K
compliant since for the year 2000 it contains decimal 100.
There could be an application out there that currently works
but will crash in 2000 because incorrect assumptions were
made about the range of "year" and say an array index is
computed incorrectly.  Clearly, bad things can happen when a
program corrupts its stack or otherwise accesses memory
outside the bounds of the array.

I've read that bad things will happen to Windows95 at the
midnight rollover Dec 31, 1999 but only if it's running!
Duh, bad things can always happen when Windows95 is
running.  But seriously, I guess if you stop the machine
_before_ midnight and restart _after_ midnight then all's
well.  Who knows what lurking out there in *nix that will go
whacko when the rollover occurs.

With all the attention that this problem is getting in some
circles, it would be a major coup if somehow Debian packages
could individually and collectively be certified Y2K
compliant and a Y2K compliant Debian release prepared.  IMHO
no other linux distribution, "commercial" or otherwise, has
the level of control available with Debian.

Comments?

--Bob