Just to let you know that I (finally) got my 'SB16 plug & play'
soundcard working under debian.

I basically followed what was suggested by Will  --> make menuconfig
Plugged in the IRQ parameters and stuff which I previously obtained
from my Window$95 partition.
I must admit that I am still not positive wether I selected the
correct IO input (I obtained 3 IO ranges from my W95 test whereas
I only was asked for one range ?). Probably nothing to worry about
since my CD's play fine.

I did not select the SB16 as a MODULE though, is that preferable ?

Then recompiled the kernel and installed it.

After obtaining my zImage I copied it to the correct spot for
my loadlin boot procedure. Following the suggestions for plug and play
devices I soft rebooted from DOS back into Linux using loadlin,
and that's it. (So I did not use isapnptools) It works.

Thanks for all help, Will and Hamish.

--Erwin