On Thu Jul 24 12:45:31 -0700 1997, Sam Ockman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I found the rc directories in /var/backup along with the file rc.symlink
> there.  I put them back where they belong.  It still seems important that we
> figure out what caused this (maybe this belongs in Debian developer...I can
> never tell...)
>
> Anyways, another file that was in /var/backup was rc.symlink....It's nowhere
> else on the disk.   Where does it belong??
>
> Thanks
> Sam
>
> Message from Sam Ockman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on 7-23-97:
> > I just installed Debian 1.3.1, and spent several harrowing hours getting
> > exactly the packages I want (working out dependancies, etc.)  I was just
> > about to celebrate, when bam, I realized there were no /etc/rc[0-6]
> > directories....
> >
> > I'm assuming they haven't been renamed (they are on my Debian 1.3
> > system)....
> > Did some package delete them like my inetd.conf file was deleted by a random
> > package in 1.3 days (might have been pre-release days, so it was
> > acceptable...)  What's going on?

[...]

Did you by any chance install a package called file-rc?

~$ dpkg --status file-rc
Package: file-rc
 This changes the standard /etc/init.d/rc and update-rc.d scripts to
 operate on a config-file /etc/runlevel.conf instead, which is easier to
 administrate than symlinks, and is also more flexible.
 .
 The package will automatically convert your existing symlinks into the
 file method on installation, and convert the file back into symlinks on
 removal.

Noel
--
Immanuel V. Yap         e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Graduate Student                [EMAIL PROTECTED]