I have had no problems partitioning and installing Linux on 1.2 gig and
3.5 gig drives on old 386 machines. I boot the install floppy and proceed
from there. I usually just create a boot floppy. This loads the kernel
into memory and IDE access from there is handled w/o the obsolete BIOS.

On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Chris Brown wrote:

>      I have several old 386 machines around that would be nice for
> different tasks.  These machines have older BIOSs in them that
> can't deal with larger IDE drives.  My experience with DOS is that
> you need to fdisk and format the drive on a machine that properly
> supports the particular disk but once that is done DOS is happy to
> ignore the BIOS.  Is this the case with Linux?  Is it necessary to
> pass the disk parameters to the kernel at boot time?

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.greenbush.com/ +