On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Jim Pick wrote:

> > I try to install X11 from cdrom that is download and recorded from ftp.
> > When I use dselect to install some packages, some .deb packages are
> > refused by dpkg. Even I use dpkg -i xlib* to install X11, error message
> > like:
> >
> > dpkg-deb: /...directory/xlib6*.. not dbian format
> >
> > Does anybody have same problem before? Why the .deb that is download can
> > not be accepted?
>
> Ok, I'll bite (since you've asked three times).  Normally, questions on
> debian-user get answered more quickly than - I thought somebody else would
> have taken this one by now.

Same here...but it was the weekend.

> Most likely, you have a file named xlib.......... in your directory that is
> not a .deb file.  Perhaps you also downloaded a xlib*.tar.gz file (an
> upstream source package).
>
> Try running 'dpkg -i xlib*.deb' instead.  Or even better, use the full
> explicit file name.
>
> (Of course, there is always the possibility that you have found a bug)

It's also possible that the file has got corrupted. I hope the person who
cut the CD remembered to ftp the files in binary mode.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151