I have been playing with my local networks 'named' and finally got it working more or less the way I think it should. Evidence for this is that I can ping <local machine name> and it returns the fully qualified machine name plus the ping responces. This works on all machines except the server 'named' is actually running on. Where the ping goes off along the cable modem never to resolve (my network is strictly a local affair). So far so good.

What is really causing me to scratch my head is that suddenly ( at the same time ) the printer located on my server (the same server which runs named) no longer works for print jobs across the network. The print jobs are all queued on my debian machine but never get printed on my redhat server.

I am pretty sure it is related to my tinkerings but just can't see where the problem lies. Any suggestions?