On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Peter Loje Hansen wrote:

[snip]

> On the router I would like to have the interfaces numbered from eth0 to eth3
> in the same way they are placed in the slots. So I reordered the append line
> accordingly, but then Linux found no cards at all! I was too lazy to split the
> machine again and reorder the cards manually.

[snip]

> # dmesg|grep ^eth
> eth0: NE2000 found at 0x320, using IRQ 10.
> eth1: 3c509 at 0x220 tag 1, BNC port, address  00 20 af 59 c8 1b, IRQ 12.
> eth2: 3c509 at 0x210 tag 2, BNC port, address  00 20 af 59 cc af, IRQ 5.
> eth3: 3c509 at 0x230 tag 3, BNC port, address  00 a0 24 b7 0e 77, IRQ 11.

Notice that the 3COM cards are sorted by ethernet address. Apparently this
is the only order in which Linux will recognize them. So, if you have
multiple 3COM cards (don't know if it applies to other cards as well), the
card with the lowest ethernet address must always have the lowest 'ethx'
number.

Remco