On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> In message
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, writes:...
>   >i have all the X .deb packages and have installed them.....but when i ran
>   >X...i get the error that no mouse was found.  i performed the xf86config
>   >and answered all the questions and tried various mice protocols but to no
>   >avail.  i have an MS mouse through a ps/2 port.
> If you have a PS/2 mouse (with a little circular plug), its device name is
> /dev/psaux and you should tell X that it is a PS2 mouse rather than a
> Microsoft mouse.  (The device /dev/psaux is a character device with major
> number 10 and minor number 1.)
>
> The XF86Config file should contain these lines:
>
> Section "Pointer"
>    Protocol        "PS/2"
>    Device          "/dev/psaux"
> EndSection

If you are running the stock (installation) kernel, you may need to
rebuild the kernel with ps2 support (I don't remember exactly which
kernels did, or didn't, have that support built in). So, if setting things
up, as outlined above, doesn't work, try customizing your kernel to
include ps2 support.

Luck,

Dwarf

      e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Tallahassee, FL  32308