> Where in the docs is the information regarding X client setup?

man xauth
man xhost

> When running as root or su applications are refused permission to run.  The
> following error message appears:
>
> vct# nedit
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> NEdit: Can't open display
> vct#

Simplest cure is
xhost +
which disables access control to your X terminal, though it is _very_
insecure solution. Read the above man pages to be able to do this the
"right way". If you are not connected to a network, the above command is
OK though.

> The applications run fine when logged in as a regular user, however,
> critical files which need to be modified cannot be since they are opened as
> readonly files.  Of course I can fall back to the console and modify files
> to my hearts content but this seems rather inane to me.

It sure is, but I don't get what's happenning, franckly.
Sorry to ask, but does your "regular user" have write permissions to
the file you want to edit? Check that with ls -l.
Oh, I get it, your user does not have permissions, but applications
started as root can't open display, right?
xhost +localhost (as the regular user) will allow your root access to your
X display (And to all the users on your machine also).
Try to use xauth technique.

Hope this helps.

Alex Y.
--