"Chad D. Zimmerman" wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Pierre GAMBAROTTO wrote:
>

> > All is in the subject. How can I use a iomega zip with
> > an IDE interface with linux ?
> >

> By default the kernel has support precompiled in for zip.  As long as it
> is connected at turn on, it will be found as /dev/sda4 (or sba4, i forget
> which)
>
> Other wise, compile a kernal, include scsi support, zip is under the scsi
> section.

I thought that was for the Parallel port version?

I believe that the ATAPI/IDE version ios different.  It is supported
in pre-2.0.31 kernel, or in 2.0.30 using an ide-scsi patch.

------
Include IDE/ATAPI FLOPPY support (new)

  If you have an IDE floppy which uses the ATAPI protocol, say Y.
  ATAPI is a new protocol used by IDE cdrom/tape/floppy drives,
  similar to the SCSI protocol.  IDE floppy drives include the
  LS-120 and the ATAPI ZIP.  At boot time, the FLOPPY drive
  will be identified along with other IDE devices, as "hdb" or
  "hdc", or something similar.

SCSI emulation support

  This will provide SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices,
  and will allow you to use a SCSI device driver instead of a native
  ATAPI driver. This is useful if you have an ATAPI device for which
  no native driver has been written; you can then use this emulation
  together with an appropriate SCSI device driver. If both this SCSI
  emulation and native ATAPI support are compiled into the kernel, the
  native support will be used.  Normally, say N.
------
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada