should have gone to the list, too ...

-----Forwarded message from Marcus Brinkmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>-----

To: Will Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound support in kernel-image-2.0.30
05:05:34PM -0400

On Sat, Oct 04, 1997 at 05:05:34PM -0400, Will Lowe wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Tom Ed White wrote:
>
> > I want to know if I need to recompile my kernel for
> > sound. I suspect that many of the drivers are already there, since
> > the device file is present.
> There's no way to get around compiling the kernel.  This isn't such a bad
> thing,  as the kernel-install process is simple enough that a trained
> monkey can do it :).  Assuming you've installed the
> kernel-source.2.0.30.deb,  it's

I heavily encourage you to use the kernel-package package. It is so easy,
I've seen monkeys using it :-) read the doc under /usr/doc/kernel-package.
The 11 steps below will be reduced to 3 steps or so.

> 1) determine your soundcard configuration (DMA,  IRQ,  addresses,  etc.)

often the default values are sufficient. Otherwise, a peek at windows
configuration can be useful.

> 2) as root,
>       a) cd /usr/src/linux
>       b) make menuconfig (or make xconfig,  if you're running x and
> tcl/tk)

or make config, for the hardliners :-)

>       c) select "sound" and follow the prompts
>          at this point,  take a look at the other stuff in your kernel;
>       if you don't have scsi,  disable scsi support,  etc.... makes the
>       kernel smaller and faster --- you'll probably also want to make
>       sound a module,  unless you use your sound card 24/7

If you have pnp sound card, you HAVE to install sound as a module (otherwise
pnp cannot take effect before sound module initialize).

> 3) make dep
> 4) make clean
> 5) make zImage
> 6) make modules
> 7) make modules_install
> 8) mv /vmlinuz /mvlinuz.old (or some other backup name)
> 9) cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /vmlinuz
> 10) modify /etc/lilo.conf to have a stanze for each kernel -- keep the old
> one around until you've run the new one a while (you might instead make
> the new kernel into a boot disk,  so you don't have to play with lilo.conf
> yet -- to do this "make zdisk" with a disk in the drive)

this steps are all one with the kernel package: Make your kernel, and you
get a *.deb file, that you can install with dpkg -i <name>.

> 11) run lilo and then reboot

and have fun :-)

Marcus

--