On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Nelson, R.A (Richard/Rick) wrote:
>
> >   *) I've got /bin mounted seperately as r/o.  Now, I'd like to move
> >      /sbin there as well.  I assume that what I need to do is to mount
> >      a new directory (say /mnt/robins) and have /bin,/sbin directories
> >      therein and symlinked in root?
>
> Please do not do this. /bin and /sbin are required to be on the root file
> system. They contain binaries you need to fix things when you have
> troubles mounting file systems other than the root file system. The same
> goes for /lib and /etc.

Agreed. /etc gets written to anyway.

> What puzzles me is that you have /bin on a seperate mount point and you
> are still able to mount it. On my system, the only 'mount' binary is in
> /bin.

Conceivably, mount could be in a /bin in the root directory which gets
occluded (or whatever the correct un*x term is) by being mounted over.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151