"John" == John Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    John> Note, I have installed the compact flavor (i386) on a single
    John> drive system that was just running Debian and on a mac 68K
    John> and powerpc, but don't have any experience with lilo in a
    John> dual boot situation.  I don't want to render my bosses
    John> windows 98 setup unusable if I can certainly help it.  Any
    John> guidance would be very much appreciated.

Just go for it.

lilo works fine booting windows 98 on most machines. Unless you have a
very flaky BIOS or something it should work out of the box.

Just login as root, and run lilo after doing a quick sanity check on
/etc/lilo.conf to ensure it has the entries you want. You will have to
modify the last entry in the default lilo.conf file so that it boots
Win98 instead of HURD. The entry is commented by default. Uncomment
it, replace HURD with Win98, set the "other=/dev/hda4" to whatever
your windows boot device is (/dev/hda1 would be my guess based on what
you said in your post). Don't use the restricted and alias lines, or
figure them out ;-)

A few things to remember:

- I believe you can run lilo with a -b flag to build a lilo boot
floppy if you like to verify your configuration.

- lilo saves the old MBR as /boot/boot.nnnn where nnnn is the boot
device identity. If things go really wrong, you can boot with a rescue
disk and restore.

- If you are really scared, send me your lilo.conf file and I will do
a good faith check.

Cheers!
Shyamal