After upgrading ldso, libc6 and several other packages, several packages
failed to work, responding "segmentation violation",
        xv, xfig, xephem
The cause of this was my setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bashrc.
I had used this setting with no problems for a year under rex and bo.

To correct this, I tried many combinations of paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
including those in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I could never get all packages to work
with any LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I could get xv and xfig to work, but then vim would
respond "caught deadly signal SEGV".

The file /etc/ld.so.conf seems to do properly what LD_LIBRARY_PATH did.
I presume we should NO longer use the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,         Fairfax, Virginia, USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"If merely 'feeling good' could decide, drunkenness would be the supremely
valid human experience."      --William James, Varieties of Religious
Experience