Chuma Agbodike wrote:
  >Right after I installed postgres 6.2.1 and played with is a little I
  >can't log into my LINUX anymore. Everything goes on as usual until it
  >reaches:
  >INIT: entering runlevel: 2
  >Then it differs from what it used to do, which is start the various
  >daemons
  >Now it says: Debian Linux 1.3 (none) tty1
  >(none) ?????     That's not what it used to say.
  >
  >(none) login:
  >
  >No matter how I login : even as root it takes me back to (none) login:

  >"Give root password for maintenance"
  >(or type Control-D for normal startup):
  >
  >Only way out is a hard reset
  >
  >Please help. If there is any way rather than reinstall.

You need to find what in particular is broken.  Boot from your floppy or
CD and investigate.

The login prompt is started by getty, which then calls login, which then
starts a shell. /etc/init.d/rc is a bash shellscript as well, and bash is
what you would get into from the single-user login; so it looks as if your
bash has been damaged, or perhaps a shared library that bash needs:
$ ldd /bin/bash
        libreadline.so.2 => /lib/libreadline.so.2 (0x40011000)
        libncurses.so.3.4 => /lib/libncurses.so.3.4 (0x40033000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40078000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4007b000)

Try booting from a floppy/CD and putting /bin/ash (or whatever other shell you
have that doesn't depend on an unmounted file-system) in the shell field of
the password entry (make sure you edit the one on your hard disk, rather than
on the ramdisk.)

Incidentally, I have installed postgresql a number of times with no problem.

--
Oliver Elphick                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Isle of Wight                                  http://lfix.co.uk/oliver