I am almost reluctant to reply further to this (probably unfortunately
not reluctant enough).

I don't personally know anyone that trys to install an operating
system without reading about how to do the task.  I don't personally
care one way or the other what name was assigned to the disk.
However, at least to me the rescue name does make sense.  When I
personally first installed Debian, the docs told me that I needed to
use the disk that I had just labled as a rescue disk.  That is easy,
even my short term memory can handle that.  Some days, weeks, or
months later however when your system fails to boot (and none of your
"online" documentation is available) a floppy labled something like
"Debian Rescue" or has a volume name with something that looks like
rescue is more likely to be used than a disk called "install".

While I don't argue that WHEN INSTALLING, a name such as "install"
makes more sense but at that time you DO have docs available to read.
When your system does not boot the name of the floppy becomes
considerably more important.

> "Evacuation vehicle remark

One does not NEED a lable for their automobile to choose to use it
should the need arise.  OTOH, when one is digging through piles of
floppy disks for something that might help them out when their system
fails "rescue" sounds like a lot more likely candidate (at least to
me) than does install.

best,
-bill