On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, G. Kapetanios wrote:

> I have a pretty strage problem with my new printer.
> I have a HP 6L with the latest version of magicfilter from hamm When I try
> to print anything but text and pcl files nothing happens. I have gs-alldin
> installed. If however, I process ps files with the same exact options as
> in the filter I am using and print with lp the output file it works.

Hi,

your error seems to happen with old versions of gs-aladdin
(the problems happen when gs is execuder with user=root or group=root
AND the output is sent to the stdout).

Which version are you using?

You could consider to install gs-aladdin 5.03-1 (in hamm); this requires
a libc6 system however...

Otherwise you can try to modify your filter file as follows: replace
> # PostScript
> 0       %!              filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300
> -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- -
with;

# Postscript
0       %!          filter  /usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300
 -sDEVIC=ljet4 -sOutputFile=\|"cat 1>&3" - 3>&1 1>&2

> Anybody has any clue. Of course I can keep working like that but a) can't
> print through application b) it is not very elegant since after the gs
> works I get a GS> prompt and have to type quit to continue with the lp
> command.

The GS> promt can be avoided by adding -c quit at the end of the gs command,
like in:

gs -q -dSEFAR -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=your_device -sOutputFIle=tmp_file \
you_file.ps -c quit

Ciao,

Marco