On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Adam Klein wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, Daniel Martin wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Adam Klein wrote:
> >
> > > In the past few days, smail has stopped non-local mail.  It returns a
> > > message from MAILER-DAEMON saying something like
> > > `551: Have you read DNS + BIND'.  What's going on?
> > >
> > > Adam Klein
> > >

> > (some stuff I said, leading up to a plug for
> > http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html)
> >

> I'm already using the smail setup described on your page, and it
> was working great, until a few days ago.  Thanks.

Ok; hmm...
Well, I'm willing to bet that it's still some change your ISP did.  Try
going through a session "manually":
After ppp is up, see what value you have for visible_name in
/etc/smail/config (when I use $visible_name$ below, I mean for you to use
this value). Now see what value you have for the smarthost "path"
variable in /etc/smail/routers. (when I use $smarthost$ below, this is
what I mean for you to actually type)

Then do: (the parentheses are instructions)
telnet $smarthost$ 25
(after you get connected and get the greeting beginning with "220")
HELO $visible_name$
(you should get a response beginning with 250)
MAIL FROM: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(you should get a 250 response, Sender ok)
RCPT TO: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(another 250 response, recipient ok)
DATA
(You should get a 354 response)