I think you're confusing the network client with the network protocol.
Win95 will quite happily see lanman servers running on TCP/IP, IPX/SPX or
NetBEUI, so it'll see samba just fine.  If your machine is having a
problem with this, try adding TCP/IP to its network configuration, and
making sure the ms network client is bound to the protocol.

TL