"Brian V Bonini" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I started to set up the .xsession file and
> instead of doing this for my user account until I got it right for some
> reason I did it for my root account.

[snip]

As well as the other solutions mentioned (Ctrl-Alt-F1, su, linux
-single, rescue disk), you should also be able to log on using [F1]
after the password insted of [Enter], which will pop up a single xterm
without running your .xsession.

Actually, I *never* log in to X as root, but just use `su'.

--
    Carey Evans  <*>  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/  gc

            "As a concept, virtual reality seems to appeal
              to people who spend a lot of time indoors."  - Gregory Benford