hi

i wanted to report a small victory in getting ppp to work. (and ask
another question)

after days of frustration, i remembered that my vanilla distribution kernel
supports a non-existant mouse on ttyS0!!!! (that's where my modem lives)
((i have a bus mouse))

i finally just killed the process supporting the mouse... i guess there is
a way in some init control file to prevent it from starting gpm.

my pon chatscript now worked!!!

however, all victories are compromises, so after it reported:
(after showing the banner from the isp & the login sequence:

Serial connection established.
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0

then... it reports pairs of LCP ConfReq and ConfNak messages
it looks like each one is echoed back immediately...
after ten pairs, it reports:

Serial line is looped back

and shuts down.  : (
onr thing i notice is that the connection was at 14.4 and my options
show 38.4...  however, i can read the banner, etc and the password was
passed ok.

i would be ever so grateful for some advice.

thanx

dave