"Mark A. Bialik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >There should be very few packages you need to do this for.  Is this
> >plain Debian 1.3.1?
>
> Well, it was. Since I went to libc6, it's now 2.0 or something :)

On the Debian lists, I call it hamm or libc6.  On non-Debian lists and
newsgroups, I call it pre-2.0.

WRT the header files, you should try to change the programs to use
appropriate files in /usr/include, often as #include <sys/foo.h>.  A
script like the following could be useful.

-----
#!/bin/sh

cd /usr/include
find . -name '*.h' -print0 | xargs -r0 grep "$1"
-----

Also check the man pages and/or "info libc".

Some libc6 structures and defines could be different to the ones in
the kernel, leading to "instability" in a program compiled against the
kernel includes.  The headers in /usr/include are the standard
locations for other architectures too, making the programs more likely
to compile on Solaris, for example.

> >> ld: cannot open -lshadow: No such file or directory
> >
> >Try leaving it out, or using -lcrypt.  The latter is for libc6, IIRC.
>
> But how do these packages know to use /etc/shadow instad of /etc/passwd then?

Hopefully they aready use getspnam instead of getpwnam where they need
the password.  It might be an option in the Makefile.

          GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."