Oh, pardon me. That really is safe then. NOT! If I can plug into your ethernet,
I can
have your NIS maps. If you "don't allow access" you must be doing it by
hostname/IP.
Easy, I can just steal the IP I want, unplugging the real machine if necessary.
This is
silly anyway because I can easily sniff the traffic, which goes around
unencrypted, with
my laptop anyway. I'm sorry but I'm right and you're wrong: NIS is not secure.
If you
believe it's secure and feel good using it in your environment you may be right
and I
might completely agree with you, **in that specific case**. The real danger
here is that
someone decides that they don't need to worry so much because they're using
shadow
passwords, not realizing that anyone who can hook a machine into the local net
can have
access. Don't go telling people something's secure when its not.

Now listen, I do exactly what you describe. I use (on an internal network)
plain old NIS
maps to distribute passwd/shadow info to a Linux box which uses shadow
passwords. I'm not
saying it can't be done. I'm not say it shouldn't be done. I'm saying that when
you
advise someone about a practice which involves system security you have a duty
to make
full disclosure about the inherent risks (which exist in *any* system). It
pisses me off
when people think they know it all and take a cavalier attitude going around
telling
people "what's what" in a tone and manner which suggest they are authoritative
on the
matter. You obviously are very confident with your expertise and technical
knowledge.
Just remember it's when you think you've got every angle that your going to
make the
mistake.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen