I've had very good success with cp -ax.  The x makes it "Skip
subdirectories that are on different filesystems from the one that the
copy started on", so you have to create the /proc mount point on the
new system.  (proc is a virtual file system, provided by the kernel,
so you don't have to worry about the contents of it.)

     I wouldn't dare to assert that cp is the "*best*" method.  It is
pretty much a religious matter!  There are a number of other
satisfactory methods, some using find and tar, that are advocated
forcefully by others.

Bob