On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:40:24 GMT, "K.Y.Lo" wrote:
> I had set up PPP then check /var/log/messages..
>
> I accidentally deleted in /var/log/messages.  I want it back
> How?

AFAIK, there's no backup copy. I'd avoid writing manually to your log
files.  (Last night I typed "mailstat" and a string of text was output
to the screen: "Most people don't write to their log files manually,
but what do I care.." :-)

If you deleted /var/log/messages (the file), then you can create a new
one, in various ways, one of which is:

    touch /var/log/messages      (you gotta be root)

I think it would be best to reboot after this, and pay attention to
your messages, then look at /var/log/messages, to make sure it's
logging.

One way to open a file read-only is using a pager(more, less, most):

    less /var/log/messages      (or: cat /var/log/message | less)

(As always, see the respective man pages for more details.)
--
David Stern