first things first, have you completely stripped-down the kernel
to only have the stuff you absolutely need?

also, i don't remember how 'experimental' it is to date, but the linux
kernel has some kind of hardware suspend feature (where the running kernel
dumps it's state/memory to a swapfile) that you might be able to use. of
course not only do i not remember how to use it, i don't remember how
well it works either, or how to enable it in the kernel compile ;)

        sean