On Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 11:02:08PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > And after I turned on the power, rebooted and logged again, I got a
> > > segmentation fault whenever I tried to man -w something. Only after
> > > manualy
> > > running the script the man -w something worked.
> > > Has someone else experienced this ?
> >
> > Yes. Please refer to the Debian-user faq:
> > http://www.debian.org/cgi-bin/fom?file=58&showEditCmds=1
> >
> > it´s because the database of man-db is corrupted.
>
> The above reference (fom?...) is claims that the DB is getting corrupted and
> that rebuliding it solves the problem. This is seems to an answer.
> However, it is also said that the DB corruption is due to a failed search.
> But
> my claim is that the corruption appears after using the reboot or shutdown
> command from an xterm. Furthere, when I reboot or shutdown the machine from a
> VT (after switching to a VT using ctrl+alt+F?), the DB does not get corrupted.
> Is this a bug ?

This reference to the reboot (and a previous one to running xman) make
me suspicious. I wasn't able to corrupt the db even when turnung off the
machine during use of man.

The only corruption that I have seen is the one drived by use of the
utility "info" which is solved by version 2.3.10-45 . which version are
you running ( dpkg -s man-db   can tell you)?

However the newest version of man-db for bo (libc5) is available in
bo-unstable (2.3.10-59bo61) toghether with a safer version of groff.

fab