On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> I have managed to promote Debian in a small but expanding firm (currently a
> dozen systems). They have old Novell Net and Samba at the moment, but they
> like Linux and want to change somehow. They allow me to give them a wishlist
> for a Debian System, and they'll buy it, and now I really need some help
> here.
>
> TASKS: File Server, Print Server, Internet Connection per ISDN (so this
> would work as a Gateway & Firewall) (light load), File Backup, and probably
> to be used at Workstation, too (login, probably with X for Windows)

btw, you'll almost certainly want to run squid on this network.

this means that if you split the gateway/firewall functions onto a
separate machine you will need to either:

    1.  make the firewall powerful enough to run squid.  this basically
        means at least a 486-66 with lots of memory - 32mb or 64mb
        minimum. the more you want it to cache, the more memory it
        needs.  CPU speed isn't that big an issue with squid for small
        networks - memory and disk speed are.

    2.  run squid on the main server, give it an extra 32 or 64mb or so, and
        use IP masquerading on the gateway...you would probably have to run
        ipmasq anyway.

craig

--
craig sanders