On Thu, Mar 05, 1998 at 12:39:22PM -0500, Carroll Kong wrote:
>       I have both FreeBSD and Debian installed.  I will use Debian and Linux
> interchangably... from what I hear and so far I already begin to feel (i
> haven't
> used freebsd nearly as much as linux), that FreeBSD is a more structured OS.
> >From what I hear from other admins, ex-Linux admins, freebsd is easier to
> maintain, more secure, and more stable than Linux.

I too have both FreeBSD and Linux installed, although I have only recently
installed FreeBSD myself. While FreeBSD may have a more structured kernel
(I do not know) I feel that the file system layout on Debian is more
structured. FreeBSD installs significant parts of the system during initial
install into /usr/local; my local expert tells me that's because that's
the way traditional Unix does it. On Debian, I think we do things right,
which can mean different to the traditional unix way if necessary.

FreeBSD seems to have the base system, and packages, and ports.
Packages are like ours, installed with the package manager. However
there are not nearly as many packages for FreeBSD as there are for
Debian (or not in 2.2.5 anyway). But FreeBSD has the ports collection,
which is another significant collection of software. But this software
must be fetch & compiled when you need it; the port just provides
the patches to make it compile. And while this might seem to be
better than a precompiled package, it still seems to be upstream-version
specific.

>       Linux is "more fun" and I guess the more 'in' thing with a LOT more
> hardware support and generally more software support.  (there is the freebsd
> linux binary emulator)   Just for the record, I run Linux as my main personal
> os. :)

I have certainly had a lot more luck with hardware. I have not been able
to get my PnP SB16 nor my parallel ZIP drive working with FreeBSD 2.2.5
yet, although I have both compiled into the kernel.

The traditional advantages of FreeBSD are networking and stability.
I am yet to see any advantage over Linux though, but I am not running
huge servers. I have had Linux machines with 180+ day uptime (which ended
due to power cycle) and I am happy enough with that.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]