On 9 Mar 1998, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

 : Note that AFAIK all SMTP mailers (well, sendmail at least) will rewrite the
 : addresses in the mail headers. That includes rewriting a CNAME pointer to
 : the canonical name it points to.

 : So even if you send out mail with the CNAME in the From: header field,
 : the recipient mailer will rewrite it.. no way around it.

Well I get Remco Blaakmeer's mail as being "From: .. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>".
So it's going from his Smail system, to debian.org's Qmail and my ZMailer.
And none of them change the address.

Sendmail indeed does, but there are quite a few other MTA's out there, and
at least these three tend not to do it allways.

 : The correct way to solve this is to not use CNAMEs but to just set
 : up an extra A + MX record. Or perhaps just an MX record if all you're
 : using it for is mail.

Ack.

bye,
Remco