>No, in one sense.  Either you have to set up hostnames in the
   >/etc/hosts file or run a DNS server for them to `know the others [sic]
   >IP address'.

   So I will be able to ping/ftp/etc IP addresses without doing anything?
   Do I have to do anything special to be able to ping the Linux machine
   from a Win'95 box (to check the network card is setup OK)?

Yes.  No.

   >Yes, in one sense.  This is the ARP protocol.

   Can you point me at a URL on this please?

http://152.15.16.15/ELET3281/ch1qr_13.html is what altavista found.
You might want to consult a basic book on TCP/IP if you're really
interested in ARP, but in normal circumstances you don't have to care
about it.